Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My different boys

You would think being a second/youngest child that I would know not to compare my children as I was also compared and contrasted against my sister and we are very different. But I find myself always comparing how brett was as a baby to Caleb. What I am finding out is that they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

Brett started out being high maintenance right away. He cried from day one and hasnt stopped yet. Caleb is a crier as well but nothing compared to Brett, the thing with Caleb is that he will not take a pacifier! Every once in a while you can sneak one in for a second but 2 minutes later you will find that pacifier across the room. I thought he might be a thumb sucker but nope. Brett cried a lot but you could sooth him with a paci. Caleb squeaks a lot but you cant sooth him with sucking. He would rather eat more food instead.

Brett loved sleeping in his crib. He would never fall asleep on me but he would on Justin (this is where he is the same) but Brett always preferred to be asleep in his room in his crib. Caleb wakes up the second he hits the mattress of his crib. He is much more happy in the bouncer or swing near family. I think that he is just so use to hearing his big brother screaming he is lonely in his room. Brett also loved to be swaddled, whereas Caleb HATES it.... but I still swaddle him at night in hopes for a longer night sleep.... However his arms always find a way out and he scoots across the crib.

The last 2 days I am also finding that Caleb fights sleep off. He just fights and fights until he is so tired its hard to get him to sleep. He he finally nods off it makes me so happy because you can see relaxation in his face.

Its hard not to compare them but I am just learning at 1 month old Caleb is his own person already. I love that.

So I only have 1.5 weeks left off work. I am sad and glad at the same time. Sad I have to go back as I have enjoyed them so much but Glad to know that they will be home with their loving daddy until August. That makes the transition much easier. I have found once place to take Brett and Caleb in the fall that will transport Brett to the charter school. Its a home day care and WAY different from anyplace we have been. I am still keeping my options open but glad to know we have at least one option.

Brett has a little cabin fever right now. I must say that its partially my fault. He hasnt had preschool due to spring break since last Wednesday and lets just say he is ready to go back! I have been so tired the last 2 days he has over done the Wii and tv watching. Dont get me wrong we get some activities and learning in but he is so fast at those. Brett can play a wii game for hours with no problem but tell him to go play with toys and he lasts about 15 minutes tops. So he had a friend come over and I told them no wii and the two boys could not agree on a thing to do except wii. Seth says..."we can play what brett wants" Brett says "lets play ninjas or bakugun" seth says "no". I gave them a million ideas. The only other thing they wanted to do was play soccer but with 4 inches of snow still on the grass it just wasnt a good option. low and behold I gave into the Wii again. I feel bad for so much Wii but on a cold snowy Day I couldnt figure anything else out.

Seth also asked me how bad it hurts to "get the baby out down there" (from my own child this is a borderline appropriate conversation but not from a neighbor kid). Also Brett said oh you can just call her mom and Seth said "but my mom is skinnier". Now his mom is like a size 0, if that and I am so far away from that but still.....

Brett playing Wii....again


Caleb sleeping....finally.

No comments: