Okay really don’t answer that question! It doesn’t matter now because it’s done. ( I really wasn’t even going to blog about it but I just need the release of typing it all out) Our little man Brett has been making some bad decisions at school and has gone right back into hitting and kicking teachers again. The owner pulled me aside yesterday and talked about how he is right back to square one where they started last September when he had gotten kicked out of the last school. After Brett hits or kicks a teacher he laughs. Also when he is in time out he will scoot over about 1 – 2 feet just to show them he can and while he is there trip, anyone who walks by. This behavior is towards adults not the other kids. She told me about an older kid they have there that was sent to Behavioral school because he could not behave in regular school. She said that Brett has caused her so many more problems than this kid who is in behavior school ever has and that she is concerned if it doesn’t stop he will not do well in kindergarten. OMG! Yes this is my sweet, sweet son. Brett is so dang smart, so independent and can be so dang sweet and so dang lovable. The combination of a very smart boy and independent is tough. We really want him to know he is smart and to let him have opportunities to make choices but he just gets so out of control. When he was born we both talked about wanting to have a child with spunk. Brett has a lot of that and I don’t want to take that away either.
So after the meeting I held together until I got to the car. Started bawling at that point. Brett laughed at me. A few minutes later he had a tear in his eye and said “im sorry mamma”. I was angry, sad, concerned and a whole lot of other things all at the same time. I called Justin who is 100% supportive of trying to fix this situation. I came up with a brainiac idea that now I am not 100% sure was right. But like I said before its done and we cant back down. Every book I read, every super nanny and nanny 911 say it has to be emotional for the child. Spanking him and time out just don’t do that for him. So my idea was to take all of his toys to the basement. Every last one of them - minus books, a radio and a night light. We told him he can earn back a toy every day when he is nice to his teachers at school and makes good choices throughout the day. First of all let me say we did this in an emotional state which is a no no, BUT it had an emotional impact on him. He cried a lot and then actually helped us. He said he would be good to earn them back. This morning he said “mommy I want to be good but it is hard”. I try and make sure I call him a good boy always and just talk about bad choices but man this is heart wrenching.
Its amazing how big his room looks with no toys and our upstairs bonus room is like huge now. It actually makes me sad to see it without toys. I cant wait until he gets some back and it is more chaotic again. We are also not letting Brett make choices. His TV is limited to what we pick (that is Bernstein bears or dragon tails- they both have good messages)- no movies, no Scooby doo, nothing like that. We are telling him where to sit for dinner, what he eats, when to go to bed and not allowing him to make those choices until he earns them back. Kinda like boot camp. I am also going to get him started in a martial arts program to hopefully help reinforce the respect message, self control and his self esteem.
So yes I am guilty- I feel so guilty- I know its an overreaction but I so don’t want my son to be on the “special” bus to behavior school. Its gotta stop now! I really hope he earns some toys back before the weekend or it will be a very long weekend!
October 2013 Paw Print
12 years ago
4 comments:
I think that taking the toys away and monitoring tv is a good idea. I also hear that the martial arts thing is soo helpful. I've been thinking of putting Coy in that. Just make sure you talk to him everyday and get him to express his emotions to you. Let him tell you how his day went, and why he gets angry with his teachers. Your doing great! Don't give up. I know this is very hard on you right now.
I'm sorry. I hope it works and gets better for you.
i think you're absolutely doing the right thing. you know that i do the toys-in-timeout thing and that's worked well for us. extreme behavior [acting out and hitting, etc] requires extreme action. and i think having an outlet for brett will be good for him on so many levels. so stick to your new program. i think all of you will be happy with the results.
good job and good luck!!
Daughter,
Stop second guessing.
Consistency is the thing. Do something - and you did.....and if he does it again pretty much same consequence.
Consistency is the most important thing...mom and pop together
Post a Comment